North Carolina is a state filled with beautiful scenery and a moderate climate, spanning from the Atlantic Ocean beaches to the Appalachian Mountains. It has a culture rich in history and the arts, and world-class sports and recreational opportunities. This has helped NC rank as the 6th most-visited state in the US. It is also the 9th largest economy in the country, making North Carolina an exceptional place to live and do business. Combine that with quality health care, top universities, and a low cost of living, and it’s easy to see why most people who live here never want to leave (www.nc.gov).
Why North Carolina?
North Carolina offers one of the best climates in the country, characterized by mild winters, long pleasant periods of spring and fall, and warm, sun-filled summers.
We have beautiful landscapes from the mountains to the coast. From RTP, a short drive west will arrive in the famous Great Smoky Mountains and Blue Ridge National Parks. The view while driving is stunning, especially in the fall, as a lush sea of red leaves envelopes the mountains. Drive about two hours east, and you can reach NC’s white sandy beaches, or a bit further to the Outer Banks and Kitty Hawk, the birth of our “First in Flight” moniker.
This natural beauty will not come at a high cost either. North Carolina’s cost of living is very competitive compared to the rest of the country. From housing and utilities to everyday supplies and groceries, transportation and health care, our cost of living is below the national average based on the ACCRA Cost of Living Index. According to Zillow, the median Wake County home costs just $227,600, which is below the national average for similar metropolitan areas.
North Carolina is proud to have been the first in the nation to simultaneously address learning standards, student tests and school accountability. We have some of the best middle and high schools in the country. NC also has outstanding public and private universities. In the Research Triangle alone, we have three nationally-recognized universities. Duke University (Durham) is consistently ranked in the top 10 best universities in US. University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill, the oldest public university in the US, is ranked in the top 5 public universities in US. North Carolina State University (Raleigh) has one of the best Engineering schools in the US.
If you like sports, we have the 2015 NFC Champions in the Panthers (NFL), a rising NBA team in the Hornets, and a National Hockey League (NHL) team, Carolina Hurricanes, as well as the Charlotte Checkers (AHL). We also have some of the best college sports teams; both Duke and UNC known for their championship-winning basketball teams.
Research Triangle Park (RTP) is one of the largest research hubs in the world, with some calling it the Silicon Valley of the East Coast. The “Research Triangle” is formed by the three hub cities of Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill (and includes the towns of Cary, Morrisville, etc.), and the three major research universities in those cities (Duke, NC State, and UNC-Chapel Hill, respectively). Attracted by this incredible pool of talent, RTP is home to a host of Global Fortune 500 companies such as IBM, Cisco, EMC, GSK, and Lenovo, along with private ones such as SAS. There is an accelerating trend for established companies to relocate here, with Fidelity from New Jersey and MetLife from New York as the latest examples.
This trend has not shown any signs of slowing down. The population in areas around RTP, such as Wake County, grew by 43.5% between 2000 and 2010, which was the highest growth of any metropolitan area in the nation for that period (newgeography.com). The Raleigh-Cary metro region is projected to be the fastest growing region in the U.S. over the coming decade, and expected to DOUBLE in the next two decades (proximityone.com 2011).
All of this growth has led Forbes Magazine to name Raleigh-Cary as one of the Best Places in the US for Business and Careers. Three times out of the past five years, Raleigh has been ranked No. 1, and in the top three for more than a dozen years (Forbes, 07/29/2015). Some other recent accolades for the RTP area include:
- Raleigh-Cary was ranked as the #1 city in “Ten best cities for Jobs” (CNNMoney, 05/19/15)
- Raleigh-Cary was ranked in the top three best cities in “American’s 20 best cities for Young Professional in 2016” (Forbes, 3/28/16)
- Raleigh-Durham was ranked as one of the top four best places to live in “2016 best places to live in the US” (U.S. News, 3/2/2016)
By now, you can see why OmicSoft calls NC home, and we wanted to share some facts about the company as well. In the last eight years, OmicSoft has an amazing average growth rate of more than 50% year over year. OmicSoft has been profitable since day one, so this growth has been no surprise. As a candidate, you will find that joining OmicSoft is attractive in several ways:
(1) OmicSoft has the stable financials of a mature company, with the growth opportunity of a start-up. In addition to a highly competitive salary and bonuses, our other benefits (health insurance, 401 K, PTO) are robust as well. In addition, employees will be granted stock options, because we want everyone to buy in and be a part of the OmicSoft success story.
(2) OmicSoft is still growing quickly. The chance for young employees to take greater responsibilities is significantly higher than in a larger firm. For example, one of our employees was just promoted to Associate Director in less than a year. At OmicSoft, we believe your growth should not be tied just to time in your job, but ability and passion, and we evaluate our employees accordingly.
(3) OmicSoft is a leading provider of bioinformatics, next generation sequencing, and cancer genomics solutions in the industry. An OmicSoft career provides an enormous opportunity to learn/practice hot topics such as HPC computing, cloud computing, vector databases, software development, NGS analytics, external tool integration, etc.
(4) OmicSoft’s clients include leading pharmaceutical companies. OmicSoft employees routinely interact with research scientists to optimize analysis pipelines and solve problems, and our software/data solutions evolve to support new customer needs. Your work will directly impact discoveries of new treatments for cancer, immunological diseases, and more.
So, if you are talented and want to move to a beautiful area with great career prospects, come to NC and join us at OmicSoft. We look forward to meeting with you.